Monday, June 12, 2006

Monday Morning Muse

I have to admit something. A long time ago (last year) I was between a rock and a hard place. My girlfriend was really excited about catching Maroon 5 when they came through Merriweather Post Pavilion. Due to the fact that I go to shows all of the time, most of the time without her, there are points when I have to give in and say, let's do it. It is simply the right thing to do (which is why I might be covering a Sugarland concert for Metro D in the near future). Here's the problem: Muse and Razorlight were playing on the same night as the Maroon 5 show at the University of Maryland. This show, of course, was announced after I already had tickets to the Maroon 5 show, and my night's activity was etched in stone. Top had a ticket and then we all got too annihilated that afternoon to know which way was up, I ended up at the Maroon 5 show, Top ended up passed out in the back seat of a truck, and no one in our band of thugs caught the Muse live assault. Top and I still get a little strange when the topic of Muse comes up. We are both excited about the new album, but we are even more excited about our shot at redemption. Perhaps the 9:30 Club as someone said in a comment a few days ago? Anywhere, please. While my sins were far greater than Top's, we both have our own personal crosses to bear from that day last summer...and all we want is a chance to make up for it.

Below are two (new) examples of Muse at it's finest. Polar ends of the Muse spectrum. One a dance-rock riot and the other a quiet interlude. All good, all well-crafted, all contributing to my need for them to get to a live venue near DC soon. And by near DC, we mean East Coast, because we have already shown the lengths that we will go to for certain bands (RHCP - Albany, NY, The Mars Volta - Rhode Island, etc.).

MP3: Muse - "Exo-Politics"
MP3: Muse - "Soldier's Poem"

No comments: