Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Birdmonster @ Black Cat 6-13-06





Inmytree and I have caught nearly 40 shows together just this year. Every now and then, the situation dicates that I end up rolling Han Solo, and more often than not, these nights somehow make for some of my best stories. Although last night didn't match me hanging out with George Clinton and P-Funk in the Green Room @ 9:30 Club, it was a memorable night on many accounts.

First things first: chow. Decided to kick it up a notch by grabbing an outdoor seat at il raddicio, compared to my previous choice of cuisine. Made good time getting into DC, and found my favorite parking spot wide open. Life is good. The opening act is Rob Pierangeli, lead singer/guitarist for the band Hard Tomorrows. Apparantly the Hard Tomorrows and Birdmonster met at this year's SXSW. And apparantly Birdmonster called up Mr. Pierangeli at the last minute before the show and asked if he'd open for them, Han Solo as well. The solo/acoustic set was well done...given the cinderblock walls of the Black Cat's Backstage (another popped venue cherry for MetroD), his Guild and voice sounded great. He played a variety of old and new songs, neither of which I was familiar with, but all of which the small crowd seemed to enjoy. I am looking forward to digging into some of this band's material, and as a local DC band, they will be playing numerous shows nearby over the summer. This Friday they'll be playing a cover set at the Velvet Lounge for a friend's bachelor party - all are invited.

And then came Birdmonster. I did as much research as I could on the band prior to the show, but there wasn't an overwhelming amount of info out there. Some compared their sound to Modest Mouse...I could agree on some levels, or maybe just some songs, but regardless, I dismissed the comparison. Simply because, I hate comparisons, because they're just typically unoriginal. What everybody seemed to agree upon, however, was how hard these guys fucking rock live. Ding!

I knew I was in for a treat when the first thing Birdmonster did after their final soundcheck/ before their first song was get into a little huddle around the drumset. Handshakes/high-fives across the board. I'm seeing and feeling genuine cohesion and unity, circa Hoosiers basketball here. They kicked off with Ice Age, all the while dancing, abusing a lone crash symbol that got whored throughout the band, smiling, and just emitting a positive aura that immediately seeped into the crowd. The energy never once stopped or slowed down, but rather, it intensified throughout the set - all the while doing a great job interacting with the fans (roughly 40) and bringing out a much appreciated west coast vibe. This goes for the sweet dance moves as well. On top of it all, the actual music was sick. It was the total package. I remember reading a quote from one of the band members earlier that day, something along the lines of 'our goal when we play is for one of us to pass out from playing so hard.' That right there is what it's all about. And that right there is the antithesis of Army of Me.

Not to steal any thunder from band, but I've been up 36 straight hours now and I have to mention the whole tamborine incident. Prior to Alabama, band offers the role of tamborine man/woman to any willing fan. No takers. Silence. Another offer from the band. Silence. "I'll play that shit!" may or may not have come out of my mouth from the front row in a loud and thunderous roar. Sometimes you just have to step up to the plate. I'm warned: "If you fuck it up, we're taking it right back." Well that didn't happen; truth be told, I have a bit of a musical background. And I've always been a firm believer of never half-assing anything. I'm envisioning a great Rollin's quote: “Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.” Maybe that really doesn't fit here, but anway, I rocked out, kept a perfect beat, stopped on my cues, and hit that damn tamborine until my hand bled, and then I kept on going. Literally. Part of me felt like a rock star for a few minutes. Part of me felt like that little shit on the Partridge family. Song complete. I respecfully ask to upgrade to guitar for the next song. Request quickly denied. I get a thanks through the mic and after the show from the bandmembers...apparantly few have stepped up to the plate and successfully executed. Fellas, if you need a tamborine-man come B'More or the next DC trip, I'll be there. And if you need a guest guitar player...

Main Set:
-Ice Age
-Skeleton Suit
-Cause You Can
-Balcony
-The Bar in the Back of the Basement
-Ball of Yarn
-Alabama (w/ special guest TOP on tamborine)
-Resurrection Song
-Janine
-All the Holes In the Walls

Encore
-Spaceman

Birdmonster will be within driving distance of MetroD on the following dates/locations, and stated that they are planning another full tour around September. Spread the word. We'll be waiting.
-June 29 @ SONAR (Baltimore)
-June 30 @ Sin-E (NYC)
-July 1 @ Knitting Factory (NYC)

Birdmonster.com
BirdSpace

No comments: