Friday, June 23, 2006

The Strokes: "You Only Live Once"


The first time I heard this song was on The Strokes' SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE performance. I liked it much more than they other song they did ("Juicebox"?), but it was still a very lukewarm performance. That being said, Top and I were completely won over by The Strokes' performance at DAR Constitution Hall this past Spring. Complete with Julian Casablancas performing all of "Reptilia" in the crowd to a roaring version of "Heart In A Cage" leading things off, it was fantastic. This video is decent. Nothing special, just a rising tide of sewer water while the bands rips through the track. The thing that gets me is seeing Julian do the little run-in-place-stomp during points of elevated energy in the song. Part of me is jealous, I think, that he is able to pull off white jeans and vintage high-tops with such ease. Of course, at DAR, he was bringing the black jeans out. Regardless, FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF EARTH continues to grow on me, and these guys are going to be around for a while. Whether you dig it or not.

No comments: