Tuesday, June 27, 2006

This Shit Is Mawkish, Muthaf*cka!

Brian Howe makes me a better person. He helps me study for the GRE and keeps me busy reading his bullshit when I could be filling myself up with far worse bullshit elswhere on the web. But, it seems like Mr. Effulgence is running out of words. Time to variegate your vocab, Brian! A little more than a month apart and mawkish and maudlin reappear together (The Stills | Tilly and the Wall). I guess these 50-cent "m" words were meant to be. Mawkish actually appears twice in three sentences in The Stills' review:

Where Logic couched its mawkishness in a sumptuous, shadowy mantle of sophistication, Feathers lets it all hang out: The jaunty pianos and major key leads, Fletcher's openly maudlin lyrics, and his cheerful/wistful phrasing all downplay the aching drama of Logic in favor of a peppy enthusiasm.

The change is evident from the first song, the cheerfully galloping "In the Beginning". Pianos plink with abandon over a hitch-and-gallop rhythm guitar; a bright lead skims through the mix like a day-glo Frisbee; former drummer Dave Hamelin (the band's primary songwriter) belts out winningly mawkish platitudes ("a hero never turns around") like he means them-- which, by God, he probably does.
This isn't that funny except that Brian seems to be a smart guy. And he seems to want me to know that he is smart guy. Thanks for pushing me, man. And don't sweat it, my criticism is ephemeral, I will be back tomorrow looking to inhale more of your verbose, diffuse piffle. Until then, Pitchfork needs some Editors.

MP3: Editors - "All Sparks" (Cicada Remix)
MP3: Editors - "Fingers In The Factories"

No comments: