Saturday, July 15, 2006

Spaceman: A Baseball Odyssey

If I could be any baseball player ever, I would be a left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox. I would be Bill Lee. Ahead of his time, funny, smart, and completely off the fucking wall. I had no idea this documentary, SPACEMAN: A BASEBALL ODYSSEY, was coming out until my father sent me a link to the trailer. I almost started crying, laughing my balls off halfway through when they show footage of Bill Lee at a press conference saying "...and once the Russians pick up the game of baseball world peace'll be established." I'm pretty sure I will be choked up through most of this when I see it, in much the same way as I was while I watched THIS OLD CUB, a documentary about Ron Santo's career with the Cubs and his lifelong battle with diabetes. I don't have the Warren Zevon song "Bill Lee," but I made do with some Birdmonster.

"Most of the managers are lifetime .220 hitters. For years pitchers have been getting these managers out 75% of the time and that's why they don't like us."

"You take a team with twenty-five assholes and I'll show you a pennant. I'll show you the New York Yankees."

"The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything."

Trailer | Stats | Quotes | Wikipedia | YouTube

MP3: Birdmonster - "Spaceman"

1 comment:

evan said...

i dig your blog. if you would like to blogroll, hit me back.