Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Flameshovel Records

Flameshovel Records, an upstanding independent label based in Chicago with a good reputation, was kind enough to pass along 2 CDs about two months ago. Yesterday, in the midst of my Johnny Cash, Thom Yorke, and Muse binge, I received a third. It is the new Bound Stems CD, APPRECIATION NIGHT, that is set for release on September 19th, 2006. I have to admit, I am thoroughly enjoying it between bursts of Johnny, Thom, and the boys from Devon. The final track, "55 Cross St." has received several repeat looks. The word around the campfire is that these guys and gal are quitting the dayjob and making a go at this music thing. To that, Metro D always says "fuck yeah!" with a deep sense of admiration. Of the three CDs I think this one has the most potential in a live setting. The depth, layers, and unpredictability of each track (and the CD itself, as a whole) harkens Cloud Cult to me, but they don't have similar sounds, and I feel the need to emphasize that. Regardless, I am really enjoying it.

MP3: Bound Stems - "55 Cross St."
MP3: Bound Stems - "Excellent News, Colonel"

Those other two CDs (Russian Circles' ENTER & Judah Johnson's BE WHERE I BE) weren't bad either. In fact, they were pretty good. I listened to the Russian Circles album ENTER for a good week straight, absorbing all it had to offer. Too say that they sound like an instrumental Wilderness would be lazy, but it would point you in the right direction. There is no vocal, so if you are hung up on the idea of some meandering, experimental tracks without the words intertwined, Russian Circles isn't the band for you. I, for one, struggle with it, but Russian Circles have a heaviness to them that has won me over. That being said, the 6 tracks left me wanting more. For what it's worth, iTunes classifies their genre label as "Metal."

MP3: Russian Circles - "Enter"
MP3: Russian Circles - "Death Rides A Horse"

Judah Johnson dug in quick with the second track, "Little Sounds" immediately grabbing me, and for some reason reminding me of U2 circa ACHTUNG BABY. That being said, about five songs in I wrote myself a note to make sure that I didn't reference U2 when I wrote about Judah Johnson because the CD evolves into something very different from a U2 album, which is good. The album alternates between fairly straight forward rock, ambient tracks with slow winding measures and jazz-fused upbeat explorations with fabulous rhythm. I am still absorbing it, but I think I have a hang up with Daniel Johnson's voice. It is worth a listen to prove me right, wrong, or insane. BE WHERE I BE drops on August 22, 2006.

MP3: Judah Johnson - "Star Struck"
MP3: Judah Johnson - "Little Sounds"

Update (7/20/06): Both Flameshovel and management for the Bound Stems got in touch with us and expressed their appreciation for the post, but they also wanted to note something that I meant to touch on when I posted. I neglected to inform everyone that the CDs below are not the releases I was talking about above, they are recent releases from those bands, save the Russian Circles release. The confusion arose when I couldn't find a pre-order at Flameshovel, Insound or Amp Camp for the forthcoming Bound Stems and Judah Johnson releases. The main reason why I display CDs at the end of my posts is so that people can buy something. With this in mind, please realize that the Bound Stems and Judah Johnson albums below are available now.
  
The forthcoming releases from Bound Stems (dropping 9/19/06) and Judah Johnson (dropping 8/22/06) follow below. You can click on each of them and get more tracks and info about the bands. We will let you know when and where you can pre-order the CDs. Thanks to Flameshovel for reaching out to us and giving us some links that will hook the listeners up.
  

No comments: