Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fuck Work: Baseball

The hand of Tek, the Capitan, has reached down and touched you, and pardoned your exercises in futility at the cubicle. Break away, you been blessed by the A-Rod beater. Yeah, Tek isn't having the season we were hoping for, but he is managing a depleted staff quite well, and doing a great job of bringing two young guns into the fold (Lester and Papelbon). Did I mention he just passed Pudge on the all-time list for games caught as a member of the Red Sox (by Pudge I mean the Hall of Famer, Carlton Fisk, not that other catcher going by the same nickname)?

As a baseball fan, I get the mofo World Cup every day of the week. Days like today put me on cortical overload and have me refreshing my Fantasy Stat sheet every two seconds.

Back in the day (last year), a fan could log in and stream a game on the spot for $3.95. Not a bad charge for one game to beat the pressures of the job, beat the heat, or catch up with the hometown team while you were traveling. These days, the wizards at MLB.com (of which, JK almost became one) are copping $14.95 a month or $49.95 for the rest of the season. I hate my job so much that I signed up for the season back in April when it was $99.95, knowing full well that I would watch a Jon Lieber/Mike Thompson match-up rather than stare at my computer screen (wait a second...). Well, today is one of those days where there are a ton of good games to check out. Great pitching match-ups as well.

NYM @ CIN 12:35 ET | Glavine (11-3) v. Arroyo (9-6)
CWS @ DET 1:05 ET | Contreras (9-1) v. Rogers (11-3)
TB @ MIN 1:10 ET | Johan (10-5) against some B-rate D-Ray lackey
TEX @ BOS 2:05 ET | Schills (11-3) against some Texas oxygen-thief
HOU @ CHC 2:20 ET | Pettite (8-9) v. Zambrano (9-3)

MLB Games Today

Go Sox, Go Cubs, goodbye work.

No comments: