Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Roots @ Fur Nightclub





There's not much left to say that inmytree didn't already cover. We hate Fur - there's a better chance of seeing us at Polly Esther's in the future than there is at that godforsaken club. The Roots were ok. Talib was great. They confiscated enough D-Ring keychains to start their own REI store. Although they let me take my camera in, security warned us that if we took any pictures, the cameras would then be confiscated as well. They also confiscated everybody's chewing gum at the door. What's the deal with that? This sounds like the making of a bad MacGyver episode or some shit. Anyway, them telling me not to take pictures was like me telling my old roommate in college that he wouldn't take the fire extinguisher off the wall and spray the doorman. It's going to happen, it just is. This, of course, usually occurs when one is heavily sloshed (we were/I was). So enjoy my pics, Fur Nightclub.

We received an interesting e-mail regarding the original Roots posting from Kyle, one of the KOOL cigarette protestors that was outside of the club, which I remember stumbling past on my way to the back of the line. We thank you for your e-mail, and can definitely agree on a few things, primarily that 1) It was disappointing to see the artists aligned with a brand like KOOL, if for nothing else the ridiculous signs and free-sample waitresses that detracted from the venue, and 2) The artists probably have no idea what was going on with the sponsorship. I saw Talib Kweli perform in the summer of 2003 in Washington state with the Sprite-Remix Hip Hop Fest with Robert Randolph and the Family Band and O.A.R. Kind of funny how the sponsorships have changed with the times, along with the state of hip-hop according to many. If you're interested in this at all, google 'kool hip hop,' and you'll find quite a few articles out there relating to states and groups joining the fight against this KOOL campaign - and winning.

No comments: