Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mercury Prize Nominees

The nominees are in and big shocker, Arctic Monkeys have made the list. They should probably just skip the ceremony this year and send them the award and the 20,000 pounds prize (wasn't Bloc Party a shoo in last year too?). Fortunately for music fans, Thom Yorke is making a late run as both albums have been pegged at 5-1 odds. Muse, Editors, and Guillemots are close behind at 6-1. I definitely haven't heard a bunch of these selections and one noticeable absence has to be Franz Ferdinand. You can read more at NME.

Arctic Monkeys - 'Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not'
Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - 'Ballad Of The Broken Seas'
Editors - 'The Back Room'
Guillemots - 'Through The Windowpane'
Richard Hawley - 'Coles Corner'
Hot Chip - 'The Warning'
Muse - 'Black Holes & Revelations'
Zoe Rahman - 'Melting Pot'
Lou Rhodes - 'Beloved One'
Scritti Politti - 'White Bread Black Beer'
Sway - 'This Is My Demo'
Thom Yorke - 'The Eraser'

1 comment:

Nick Fulton said...

Franz Ferdinand weren't nominated because their album was rubbish. I'm disappointed Gomez weren't nominated for 'How we Operate', I love that album. Personally I think Arctic Monkeys deserve it, but I wouldn't be disapointed to see Isobel Cambell and Mark Lanegan win.