Saturday, July 22, 2006

Odds & Ends

OK Computer will be the focus of a documentary-like DVD complete with a performance of "Creep" (?). The DVD will hit stores on September 19th.

I have actually enjoyed the Invaders CD, a compilation by Kemado Records that features Black Mountain, The Sword, Dungen, Pelican & more. It pointed me to a lot of bands, and most importantly, gave me my first taste of Witch. It is what it is: a compilation. While they don't feel the same way that I do, Prefixmag's review is pretty funny, especially the last line.

By the time Top showed up at my apartment last night, I was 8 cans in to a PBR 12 pack. Who kills 8 PBRs while watching Quills? I do. Great movie. It was all downhill from there. We rocked the Nationals-Cubs exercise in baseball futility, after some more bevvies at the house and in Eastern Market. Top and AlcoPaul were in full Cubbies gear, complete with paper bags to put over their heads in case of a blowout. Mark Prior looked terrible, neither team looked good defensively and all-in-all it was one of the poorest displays (major leaguers should know how to hit the cutoff man by now) of baseball I have ever witnessed. I rolled out at the end of the 6th and apparently it got close. Regardless of the teams on the field, RFK is a mess. A complete mess. Go Expos.

American radio has no love for Madonna. Metro D has no love for the radio.

PJ will open for U2 in Australia later this year. Weird.

If you really can't wait for Return to Cookie Mountain, the latest CD from TV On The Radio, you can pre-order the import which hits Amazon on Tuesday.

On Friday, JK and I were emailing back and forth about the merits of Insound and how we decide what to buy. I told him how much I used Insound's Top Sellers List. Taking a look at what people are buying and then doing my own investigation about those bands has proved to be a fruitful technique, along with checking the blogosphere and listening to the radio.

Decades Rock Live, a show on VH1 that unites current stars with older musicians brought Elvis Costello and Death Cab For Cutie together last night. I was shamboozled at RFK and didn't get a chance to check it out, but it should repeat 15 times this weekend in typical VH1/MTV fashion. Surprise, surprise, I am right: showtimes and clips are at the Decades Rock Live website.

Kasabian announced the departure of founding member Chris Karloff last week. The announcement on their website seems icy at best. There was no information on who will replace Karloff and whether or not that replacement is a permanent one. They will be performing at V Fest in September. Their album, Empire will come out in September. Filter-Mag has a calendar with all of the other prominent, upcoming UK releases for the fall.

No comments: