Thursday, July 13, 2006

New Artist Spotlight: Tokyo Police Club

I've officially found my new band of the moment. The band that I make sure to tell my friends about. I've had several others over the last 8 months or so, The Little Ones was more of a whisper while Silversun Pickups was more of a normal tone and Wolfmother and Editors' live show was an all-out yell. Well, I'm putting Tokyo Police Club somewhere close to Silversun. I'm certainly not the first person to mention these kids (and yes, they are definitely kids, Arctic Monkeys style) but I'm taking it upon myself to take this initial buzz and turn it into something. Canadians on the indie scene are well aware and if these guys were British, NME would be foaming at the mouth. Their PR people will give you a description along these lines:

"If you were to throw Bowie, Joy Division, The Arcade Fire, and two llamas into a blender, you would have one hell of a mess."

While I think anyone should be careful when throwing Arcade Fire into the mix, be the judge and listen for yourself. I have a couple downloads below, you can also stream the entire EP on their label site or buy the just-released-Stateside album from Insound.

MP3: Tokyo Police Club - "Nature of the Experiment"
MP3: Tokyo Police Club - "Be Good"
Buy the EP at Insound
Stream the EP on Paper Bag Records

No comments: