Monday, July 03, 2006

Psapp @ Black Cat, June 30



Stuffed animal snakes? Check. Cat hand puppets? Here. Train whistles and clown horns? Got 'em. Fisher Price guitar? Yup. Squeaky plastic poultry? You know it. Not painting a good enough picture for you? Picture a a UK version of The Wiggles that swears and drinks Corona; the kids show you never had but always wanted. Wiggles aside, Psapp, 'the only band endorsed by felines,' opened up for Jose Gonzalez and Juana Molina at the Black Cat friday night, and hands down did a great job entertaining and livening up everybody in attendance.

Now I'll be honest; I really didn't dig the music. I give the band much credit and respect as artists for doing their thing, and for doing a swell job opening up. But, I felt similar to when I saw the Flaming Lips open up for RHCP in Seattle back in 03. Take away the giant gerbil ball, the fake blood, the baloons and confetti, the hundred school mascots on stage, the jumbo-tron footage of topless girls jumping on trampolines - all shit that keeps the brains of drug-induced teenagers extremely busy - and you're left with jack and shit. I'm by no means saying psapp without their bells and whistles would be jack and shit - some of their songs were tight. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just really fucking hate cats.

Psapp.com
Myspace

3 comments:

1000yregg said...

Bit of a harsh diss on the Flaming Lips, I must say. While their current schtick of a carnival atmosphere at their shows now is a bit annoying, I personally still love their records- particularly the early more psychedelic joints. I saw them play in 1990 when all they had was a smoke machine and a film projector pointed out towards the audience. It was amazing to see them then. This was also before Wayne Coyne really cleaned up his look.
I was actually at the Psapp show, too. My head is the large one right in front of the bass player.

TOP said...

I knew I would receive some comment of the like, which is one of the reasons I posted what I did...but in fairness to my counterparts, I'm pretty sure JK and inmytree would agree with you. But my experience was what it was, regardless of not being completely experienced with their recorded material - especially the older stuff you mentioned. I'm also turned away from the more recent niche w/ RS, MTV, and Nickelodeon Kids Choice. I definitely think the very young, stoned, and 'I'm going to push and elbow throughout the whole show to get one inch closer to the stage' crowd probably added fuel to the fire to the aforementioned show as well; anyway I'm willing to check out their older stuff. Suggestions? And I think i moved up right behind you...were you the one that took over 100 pics? Either way your's turned out great.

1000yregg said...

probably, it looks like your jose gonzalez pics were right next to mine. next time you see me at a show, say hi, since i don't think i saw you.