Thursday, October 05, 2006

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

I recently broke my ban on television other than The Shield, Rescue Me and nip/tuck. Oddly it came in the form of a show on NBC, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Slate Magazine has a great article about the quality of the show and its real life subject matter. And yes, I came across that article as I was logging into the Metro D Hotmail account.

Something that isn't surprising about Studio 60 is that the creators of the show, Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme, have had their hooks in me before, and I am not talking about The West Wing. Don't get me wrong, The West Wing was good television, and well written at that, but it just wasn't my flask of Crown Royal. Now Sports Night? That was a fucking show. Running for a total of 45 episodes over two seasons, Sports Night followed a SportsCenter-like show both on air and behind the scenes. Starring a post-Benson Robert Guillame and a pre-Desperate Housewives Felicity Huffman, Sports Night was 30 minutes of taut writing, laugh-out-loud hilarity, and superb acting.

1 comment:

TRL said...

I love Sports Night. It's somewhat disturbing, though, that as I watch Studio 60, I get a sense of deja vu. Sorkin seems to recycle. Example: Dana storms into Dan & Casey's office calling him an oversexed. overpaid, adolescent blowhole (or something to that effect). Harriett does and almost verbatim entrance into Matt's office. Not too good.