Monday, October 16, 2006

Elf Power @ Union Hall, 09.30.06

A lesson in Elf Power, Neutral Milk Hotel, the Elephant Six Collective, Breezy Point, Jeff Mangum and alcohol consumption comes via email from the incorrigible Dr. Thomas Beckett, Esq. He also reviews (somewhat) the Elf Power show at Union Hall on September 30th:

"Yo, my head did explode after hearing about Apples in Stereo and Jeff 'Jesus Christ' Mangum. I love you JEEEEESUSS CHRRRRRIIISSSSTTTTTTTT!!!

"I will be on [vacation] from 28 Oct to 8 November, so that means I will be seeing the Apples in Stereo at Irving Plaza on - I think - Nov 3rd. I really think Mangum might play the drums for that show or at least play "the cow object." I am just excited he is involved with music again and not recording sounds or joining the circus. Although, if he put a record out of sounds I would be first in line to buy it. There is so much shit going on....big Mets win tonight. I am in NC and just drank 15 beers and a half bottle of Mandrin in 9 innings out of sheer nervousness.

"Yo, I have been on [vacation] forever. I have these great pics of the Elf Power show. Bro, purchase A Dream in Sound and Back to the Web now. Although everyone on the Elephant 6 Townhall has the fantasy of seeing Jeff at a show, Elf Power is legit and I have been vibing them for a couple of months now and went to see them on their own merit. It's sad that a band like Death Cab for Cutie comes out, sells record, and gets credit for starting something "new", while Andy Geiger and Elf Power have been making better music since the 90's. [My father] was born on a bottle rocket in Park Slope, Brooklyn, Dec XXth 19XX, and who knew such a great venue like Union Hall would pop up in the same middle class neighborhood...I guess it's the give and take of gentrification.

"The bar was hipster/yuppie, with a Bocce ball court, and if you ever been to Breezy Point you know Bocce ball is life. T-shirt = 'Give Blood, Play Bocce Ball!' [T]he venue was in the basement, it was absolutely tiny. They sold Bud Lite nib bottles...2 for $5. My hands looked huge as I gripped those shorty bottles...they were more like cigarettes. I smoked a nib a minute as I vibed to the music. I brought Hollywood with me...we were both wearing Blazers...we thought we would class it up. Actually, we just didn't change from the night before.

"Elf Power was incredible. [Jeff Mangum]'s former lover, Orange Twin CEO...Laura Carter was part of the band on this tour...Mary Magalengeegeeegee. The basement of Union Hall was so small that Elf Power couldn't do an encore...Andy was just like 'We would do an encore, but there is nowhere to go.'

"Also, during the show, lead guitarist Jimmy Hughes passes a drink ticket to the crowd asking for a rum and coke, the crowd passed the ticket to the back bar, then the crowd passed the rum and coke back up to Hughes. The first time I witnessed such general group honesty in Brooklyn History. I have to be honest, when I gripped the rum and coke to pass it forward I almost took a swig...but i felt the power...Elf Power. Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock. The clock is ticking on JQ so get hot, get HOT!"

No comments: