Thursday, October 19, 2006

Grizzly Bear, TV on the Radio @ Irving Plaza, 10/18/06

No pics (I think InMyTree took enough anyway) but then again, I never take any pictures. Here's the set list.

"Dirtywhirl"
"Dreams"
"Blues from down here"
"Province" (no Bowie)
"Wrong Way"
"Young Liars"
"Wolf Like Me"
"I was a lover"
"New Health Rock"
"Wash the day away"
"Satellite"

Encore:
"Wear You Out"
"Staring at the sun"
"Let the devil in" (with 15 dancing friends)
"Ambulance"

I got to Irving in time to see Grizzly Bear admittedly more so based the reviews of their latest album than anything else. I'm not familiar with their music and it took me a few songs to figure out whether I was buying or selling. By the end of their 45 minute set, they had won me over. They fit the quintessential description of indie rock. They certainly bring a unique sound and even picked up some major points for incorporating a recorder into one of their songs. This was my first time seeing TV on the Radio and it was long overdue. Tunde's stage presence is mesmerizing. By the third song of the night ("Blues from down here") the brass (2 sax, one trumpet) came out on stage - as they did for maybe 50% of the songs - and I was hooked. Overall, I still prefer the recorded version of most of their songs. "Staring at the Sun" and "Wolf Like Me" took on a faster pace but it doesn't even really matter because they put on one hell of a show. They're humble, extremely talented, and amazing performers. The crowd was in a frenzy throughout and I doubt that two more people could have even fit into the the place. This was not a crowd here to see what the hype was about, this was a crowd that knew all the songs and was just as pumped up as I was. I love that.

No comments: