Saturday, October 14, 2006

Comets On Fire, Missed Opportunities & A Sub Pop Hard-On

[Photo Credit]

Something strange happens to me everytime I see the words Sub Pop in regards to a band. At an early age I was conditioned to respect the quality of the Sub Pop label. We are talking Green River, Mudhoney, Nirvana, and Soundgarden for starters. Later it was Sleater-Kinney. Recently it was The Postal Service, Wolf Parade, The Thermals and Band of Horses. Anytime, anywhere it was and still is quality.

Enter Comets On Fire. These guys seemed to be raised on good music. Stuff like Zeppelin, MC5, The Allman Brothers Band, and Floyd. It's acid rock meets the blues. It's psychedlia meets metal. The word around the campfire is that Avatar is their most focused release to date. I've got no complaints from the two tracks I've heard (posted below). My only issue is that I am a day late and a dollar short: these guys rocked the Black Cat on September 1st. Thanks to Monte's Gauntlet and Funtime OK for the head's up.

MP3: Comets On Fire - "Dogwood Rust"
MP3: Comets On Fire - "Jaybird"

No comments: