Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Chart News

Just out of curiousity, I thought I'd keep tabs on how all of the (at least in my mind) major releases of 10/3 (notably: Jet, Killers, Decemberists, Beck, Kooks) fared on the charts. Well, the numbers were released via Billboard today and Evanescence beat out the Killers for the top spot. Not really bad news for the Killers when you consider that this is their best sales group and chart position (315,000 and No. 2). Other notables, Beck shows up at No. 7 (99,000) which has to be seen as a disappointment after Guero debuted at No. 2. If anything, this is the one album that you should buy. Bands that put some thought into packaging should be rewarded. I had a damn good time messing around with those stickers. The others mentioned are Jet at No. 16 (51,000) and the Decemberists at No. 35 (26,000). Reason No. 315 why I'll never understand the state of mainstream music fans, I a band called Hinder whose album "Extreme Behavior" has been on the charts for 35 weeks and gone platinum. Platinum!?! How is it that I've never even heard of this band? They're described as "post-grunge rockers" from Oklahoma City and they apparently started out as a COVER band. Well, now they're with Universal. Really makes me wonder sometimes...

Related news:
Google has added a Music Trends chart. There's a Hinder song on here so I guess they are real. Nothing really new to report here, just a list of the band names (Green Day, Killers, James Blunt, P!ATD, etc.) and songs that you've come to expect compiled from Google Talk preferences.

No comments: