Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cormac McCarthy Blew My Mind. Again.

I finished it in two sittings. If I didn't have to get off of the plane in LAX and if I didn't sleep through the first three hours of that plane ride, I would have consumed it whole in one shot. It may be the best book I have ever read. I am still trying to come to terms with it and it is still haunting me. It just recently won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and John Hillcoat (of The Proposition fame) is slated to direct the film. Fuck. Yes.

One of the highlights of my weekend was walking down Sunset Boulevard in the rain on Sunday and hearing from Frat. He was similarly affected. Both of us were (are) at a loss for words in regards to the book, the impact and relevance to our modern times.

The last two books I've read are McCarthy novels (the other being No Country for Old Men). I found myself not wanting to read anything else. How could I pick up a book after the journey I just went on? Frat told me that he was pushing through, had to score something else and keep on moving. I took the advice and decided to pick up another book by one of America's greats: The Human Stain by Philip Roth. So far, so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A brilliant book all around. Not an original idea though, I wrote a piece about how similar it was to Russel Hoban's "Riddley Walker" another post-apocalyptic novel. You can read it here