Saturday, September 09, 2006

Snow Patrol @ Roseland Ballroom, 6/3, 6/27, 9/8

This time the show happened and all negativity aside, Snow Patrol really do put on a great show. The 3000-capacity Roseland Ballroom was absolutely packed and I truly think Gary and Co. felt like they owed us something last night and the crowd responded. Lightbody's stage presence actually reminds me a lot of Tom Smith (Editors). I realize SP have been around longer but having seen Editors a few times now, I see a lot of similarities. They both let it all out on stage and become fully immersed in their music. Gary seems to take himself far less seriously, however, I often saw him with a huge grin on his face in between songs and he's far more talkative. I should mention that he also dedicated one song to his "favorite New York City band: We are Scientists." Maybe they were in the crowd...The set list last night was based solely on Final Straw and Eyes Open which is unfortunate because there are a lot of great songs on their first two releases but understandable given the crowd demographic (Grey's Anatomy anyone?). Snow Patrol also hardly make any attempts to veer from the recorded version of their songs which is fine because they sounded great but ideally, I'd like to see these songs grow a bit in a live setting. All in all, a fun show and an awesome crowd.

Set list (courtesy of Realm of Moz):
-"Spitting Games"
-"WOW"
-"Chocolate"
-"Beginning To Get To Me"
-"Headlights"
-"Grazed Knees"
-"Chasing Cars"
-"Shut Your Eyes"
-"How To Be Dead"
-"Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking"
-"Make This Go On Forever"
-"Set the Fire on the Third Bar"*
-"Run"
-"You're All I Have"
Encore:
-"Open Your Eyes"
-"Tiny Little Fractures"

* Definitely an added bonus about seeing the show in NYC is having Martha Wainwright in attendance (she opened, I missed it) and as expected, she appeared here. Unfortunately, the vocals were a bit loud on Gary's mike - as they were all night (Roseland sucks) - so I could barely hear her vocals.

1 comment:

Morrissey said...

my very first time seeing snow patrol.....what an awesome show. Please check out the pics!