Friday, September 01, 2006

Spank Rock @ Black Cat

[Photo Credit]

Funny thing about taste. The same guy (me) that loves mainstream rock (Pearl Jam, Tool) also loves indie darlings (The National, TV On The Radio), pop (JT), gangsta rap (Ice Cube, Dr. Dre), blogger favorites (Birdmonster, Cold War Kids), the greatest living rock band (Radiohead), lyrical masterminds (Jay-Z, Common, Talib Kweli, Em) and the purveyors of prog naughtiness (The Mars Volta). Maybe that first sentence should have read: "Funny thing about music." I am stating the obvious here in proclaiming my love for every end of the spectrum, and I am sure everyone that is out there reading music blogs is the same way. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here. You're looking for something new, something unique, or maybe something that challenges you. Welcome.

I don't know why it took me so long, perhaps my addiction to Cookie Mountain (and before that Pink) or maybe it was my preparation for the test that is destined to expose my mediocrity, the GRE (which I call the "Guess, Retard! Exam"). At any rate, I should have been quicker to hop on the Spank Rock buzz. After all, it is right up my alley: songs titled "Rick Rubin," infectious hooks, nasty lyrics, and an all-out bombastic approach to delivering the goods. What was I waiting for? Well, I wait no longer. Spank Rock is all up in this motherfucker on October 27th, the night after The National, the night before The Wrens. We'll call it an indie-hop sandwich. As usual... Can't. Fucking. Wait. The only thing standing in my way is living through the weekend before it: Friday - TVOTR, Saturday - RHCP, TMV, Sunday - Frank Black. Christ.

From BlackCatDC.com:

"In 2005, M.I.A. emerged as a new feminist icon, with the beats and bass to match. Now it's 2006 and the boys are back in town. Say hello to Spank Rock. They're naughty (lyrically) and nice (beatwise) and they're throwing it down in the backyard. Your backyard, to be exact. Cause these boys are from Baltimore. Get ready for the party of the year. East coast style."
Get after it. The tracks below are money. The first song to get me hooked was "Sweet Talk." What a beat. Enjoy...

MP3: Spank Rock - "Sweet Talk"
MP3: Spank Rock - "What It Look Like"

[Tickets | Big Dada Recordings | Video @ Inertia-Music.com]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a heads up: on Oct 26-28, there's also The DAM! Festival...