Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Fake Cops

No CDs at Amazon.com. No CDs at Insound.com. No mention at Wikipedia. I heard them this morning on my CBC Radio 3 playing the song "Two Mutes, Two Not." I was looking at my coffee aimlessly, just kind of spacing out, thinking about things like: who is Dr. Christian Troy gonna bang on the season premiere of nip/tuck tonight or why do I feel so fantastic after drinking from 2 PM to 12 AM yesterday. Then I hear this roaming guitar and I am like...is this At the Drive-In? is this Omar? And if the answer to one of those questions is yes...then what fucking song is this? Then the voice comes on and I am sure it isn't ATDI or TMV because it is definitely not Cedric singing. But it's not bad, in fact, it's really good and it evolves into something that is more dance/punk than prog/punk, but it is fresh nonetheless. I motivate to shake my mouse and check out the webpage and it is a band called Fake Cops from Calgary. Further investigation answers some, but not all, questions: their second album, thundertheft was released on Reluctant Records on August 19th of this year, the album clocks in at a whopping 15 (!) minutes, and they rehearse in the basement of a juice bar. With the majority of this mystery solved, I am left with another, perhaps more important question, this one in regards to Canada: what the fuck is in the water?

MP3: Fake Cops - "Sir, You're Not Blowing"

[Live @ CBC Radio 3 | MySpace | FakeCops.com | NowToronto.com]

No comments: