Thursday, September 07, 2006

Ben Harper @ Central Park Rumsey Playfield, 9.6.06

10 days before the big day, the lady and I hit up Jr. Gong and BHIC at Central Park's Rumsey Playfield. It was my first time inside and I'm supremely impressed by the venue. It's an excellent setting (right in the middle of the park) and the acoustics/sound are amazing for an outdoor venue. I should also mention that a hot dog, fries and a Becks cost me $12. No complaints. Jr. Gong was on with his crew at 6 pm. I'm only familiar with one song, his closer "Welcome to Jamrock" but his hour-long set was very entertaining. I was especially impressed by one member of Marley's clan whose sole responsibility was to wave the Jamaican flag throughout the entire set. He never once put it down. There was also a guest appearance from one of the other Marley brothers, Stephen. Ben and the Innocent Criminals came on promptly at 7:30 (shows in Central Park have to finish by 10 - and BHIC went the distance). I've lost track of Ben Harper since the Fight For Your Mind (and my college) years and I'm not exactly sure why. Because of this, I was largely unfamiliar with a majority of his songs so I'll leave the in-depth detail to #1 fan and our resident wordsmith, InMyTree (who's attending Sunday's show @ Merriweather). Ben is immensely talented, with his voice and guitar play, it's impossible not to be moved by his performance. His band is equally impressive, from drums to percussion to guitar. They deserve every right to be included with the likes of the E Street band, Heartbreakers, etc. Looking at the highlights below, I can't help but notice some similarities to Pearl Jam's infamous live shows (varying set lists, guest appearances, huge guitar solos, Neil Young covers, etc.).

* Ben closed out the opening set by inviting Damian and crew (including my favorite flag bearer!) out for an awesome rendition of "Get Up, Stand Up." We know Ben can sing PJ and he can sure as hell sing Bob too.
* What may have been a 5-minute bongo solo during "Burn One Down" which got the crowd completely fired u
* Neil Young cover of "Heart of Gold" - awesome.
* A very special guest appearance, the legendary Rahzel. For those in the know, Rahzel, who was briefly with the Roots, is considered the "Godfather of Noyze" aka beatboxing aka vocal percussion. Dude completely stole the show during "Steal My Kisses"
* Closing out his 2.5 hour set with "Amen Omen"

This was my first Ben Harper show and I'll be damn sure not to miss his next one.

Be sure to catch BHIC on the Conan O'Brien show tonight.

Updated Set List:
Set I:
• "Burn To Shine"
• "Brown Eyed Blues"
• "Please Bleed"
• "Please Don't Talk About Murder While I'm Eating"
• "Homeless Child"
• "Serve Your Soul"
• "Waiting For You"
• "Diamonds On The Inside"
• "Forgiven"
• "Ground On Down"
• "Black Rain"
• "Get Up, Stand Up"

Encore I:
• "Burn One Down"
• "Steal My Kisses"
• "Better Way"

Encore II:
• "Gather 'Round The Stone"
• "There Will Be A Light"
• "Lifeline"
• "Welcome To The Cruel World"
• "Heart Of Gold"
• "Amen Omen"

4 comments:

c mike said...

agreed it was a great show, but he played that exact set tuesday night as well. also agree it is a great venue.

NF said...

Beck's - yikes! Reminds me of becoming a Heineken drinker for a weekend in Indio, CA. Also known as, the mofo Coachella. What can you do? Any port in a storm.

JK said...

It was definitely a different set list than Tuesday night (if what is listed on his site is accurate - which I'm assuming it is).

JK said...

the alternative was Coors Light. I'll take Becks