Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Tokyo Police Club @ Pianos

I got late notice on Saturday that Insound Top Sellers Tokyo Police Club were making a surprise trip back down to NYC, their third trip to the city. Needless to say, I jumped on the chance to see one of my favorite new bands. I ventured down to the scene of InMyTree's late-Thursday night bender (the after-party with Silversun Pickups), Pianos. I caught about 30 minutes of the opening act, Harlan along with TPC and about 6 other people. They're a band based in Baton Rouge, LA or as the lead singer quoted, "when Louisiana was still a state." Pretty good rock quality from a band that I knew absolutely nothing about. Once Tokyo Police Club hit the stage, the small room quickly filled up. Watching them on stage, I got that sense of what it must have been like catching the Arctic Monkey's in the very early days (only Canada has the rights to these guys). A very young band with immense potential. I love the album, I'm still playing it several times a week, and each song from the EP was awesome live. They bring a ton of energy, each of the 4 band members have multiple roles on stage whether it be tambourines, hand claps, or a second drum set. After a short 35-minute set that included 4 non-EP tracks, I definitely left Pianos feeling confident that the band that I heavily endorsed one month ago can bring it on stage as well.

MP3: Tokyo Police Club - "Nature of the Experiment"
MP3: Tokyo Police Club - "Be Good"

No comments: