Friday, August 11, 2006

Pete Yorn @ The Birchmere

I have never seen him live, but I am a huge fan of musicforthemorningafter and Day I Forgot. There is actually a specific piece of road just north of Massachusetts and into New Hampshire that reminds me of listening to mftma for the first time. It has been a while since I have really listened to either CD, or even thought about Pete Yorn in general. He seemed to be hovering below my radar until I noticed he was blogging for Billboard and had just past through Alexandria, VA. My interest piqued, I decided to check out his website and I was surprised to find out that it is rather pimp, complete with live videos and setlists. It turns out his setlists are ridiculous. Check out the set he played at the Birchmere this past Tuesday. Damn. I think 26 songs enters the "worth the price of admission" area. I feel like a dumbass for missing this shit. Any song I would want him to play, he played, except for maybe "Black" off of musicforthemorningafter.

PY solo acoustic:
Intro > "For Nancy"
"Friend of the Devil" (Grateful Dead cover) > "Life on a Chain"
"Sleep Better"

PY & Joe K.:
"Undercover"
"Bandstand in the Sky"
"June"

PY, Joe K., Sid & Mal:
"Alive"
"Long Way Down"
"Pass Me By"
"Ask" (The Smiths cover)
"Atlantic City" (Bruce Springsteen cover) > "Murray"
"Just Another"
"Burrito"
"Don't Mean Nothing"
"The Good Advice"
"Turn of the Century"
"Georgie Boy"
"Closet"
"For Us"

Encore:
PY & Joe K.:
"Lose You"

Full Band:
"Broken Bottle"
"Strange Condition"
"Suspicious Minds" (Elvis Presley cover)
"Crystal Village"
"I Feel Good Again" (Junior Kimbrough cover)

On his current "You & Me" acoustic tour he has been covering everyone from The Association to Elvis Presley to The Beach Boys to The Buzzcocks to Warren Zevon. That is quite the slice of genres. Now I am really pissed about missing this. I would say that I will catch him next time, but the way shit is...one never knows. Pete's latest album, titled Nightcrawler, will hit stores on August 29th. You can pre-order it at Amazon.com. Stream the first single, "For Us," below:

Real | QT | WIN LO | WIN HI

No comments: