Tuesday, August 22, 2006

TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

[Metro D: TVOTR @ Coachella | Metro D: Pics of TVOTR @ Coachella]

With JK dropping some depressing news about Kasabian's latest, Empire, I have to add that another release we were both excited about it, TVOTR's Return to Cookie Mountain lives up to every ounce of hype it receives. The import arrived at my door last night and it has been on repeat ever since. It is a "don't touch the dial" experience that begs a concentrated listen. Layers upon layers, vocals, horns, and percussion combine, collide and expand over 11 tracks. It pulses and throbs its way to amazing, heart-pounding highs ("Wolf Like Me,"), soulful vocal-centered tracks ("Province"), delicate explorations ("Tonight"), methodical, lyrical masterpieces ("Hours") and a tripped-out, eclectic leadoff that puts the hooks in immediately ("I Was A Lover"). My expectations for their show at Sonar in October are now completely outrageous and this CD has claimed the top spot from Boris's Pink as my favorite album of the year. That may be a knee-jerk reaction, so stay tuned for a retraction or affirmation after I come down from this sonic high.

I went ahead and purchased the import because I couldn't wait for the stateside September 12 release date. That being said, I have been painted into a corner with the news that the American release will have three additional songs. Always the fan, and always in need, I solved this delicate problem by pre-ordering the US Return to Cookie Mountain through Insound. I am OK with it because I will get a TVOTR poster with the order...and, as mentioned earlier, three additional tracks. Well, two actually, because one of the tracks, "Things You Can Do," is a B-side to "Wolf Like Me," a CD Single that arrived last night, as well. It's a vicious cycle, friends. Vicious.

MP3: TV On The Radio - "Hours"

   

No comments: