Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Walkmen: A Hundred Miles Off

The lead singer for ...And You Will Know Us by the Trial of Dead has a terrible voice but I've grown to love it and Source Tags and Codes is one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm not quite there yet with the Walkmen. When listening to their older material, more often than not, I find myself thinking that this band would reach the next level with a different lead singer. Well, their third full-length, A Hundred Miles Off, is their best work to date and I'm slowly reaching the point where I can see that there is more to this band than "the Rat." I hear a handful of tracks where Hamilton Leithauser's Dylan-esque croon really works, specifically "Emma, Get Me a Lemon," "Brandy Alexander" (my two favorites), "Another One Goes By" and the true punk track, "This Job is Killing Me" is killer. The vocals don't sit quite as well with me on the others but who knows, it took me awhile to fully respect ...TOD too. The album, A Hundred Miles Off, is out next Tuesday. You can buy it at insound.

MP3: The Walkmen - Another One Goes By

No comments: