Thursday, March 01, 2007

New Artist Spotlight: Wolf & Cub

I had to ask myself, is there room for another band with Wolf in the title, let alone another band from Australia? I hadn't heard of Wolf & Cub until this morning when I read about them in WIRED, of all places. From the looks of it, not many people in the U.S. have heard of them either. Fortunately for them, some heavy hitters in the industry have noticed. They've opened for Wolfmother, TV on the Radio, Death From Above 1979, and at the request of Josh Homme, Queens of the Stone Age (among others). They've signed to 4AD in the UK and will be releasing their debut album Vessels stateside on March 6th. From what I've heard so far, I'm sold. I'm not sure how to quite define the sound, it seems equal parts metal, psych-rock, and pure guitar fuzz. But I definitely hear some of that The Mars Volta style prog-rock and shit-kicking instrumentals (did InMyTree's ears just perk up?) style. Apparently, they also use two drummers. Here are some tracks that I managed to scrounge together. First one is my favorite.

MP3: Wolf & Cub - "Steal Their Gold"
MP3: Wolf & Cub - "This Mess"
MP3: Wolf & Cub - "Vultures"

They're doing a show at Pianos in NYC next Friday night and unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. I have a feeling they'll be back.

More US dates:
Mar 9 Pianos New York City
Mar 10 Union Pool Brooklyn, New York
Mar 11 The Cake Shop New York City
Mar 13 SxSW Austin, Texas
Mar 14 Emos - SxSW 4AD showcase Austin, Texas
Mar 15 SxSW Austin, Texas
Mar 16 SxSW - Aussie BBQ Showcase Austin, Texas
Mar 17 SxSW Austin, Texas
Mar 18 SxSW Austin, Texas
Mar 19 Spacelands Silverlake, California
Mar 20 Cinespace Hollywood, California

Elsewhere:
Listen
Pre-order at Amazon

3 comments:

NF said...

I am so fucking hooked.

JK said...

hell yeah, i'm in. nice work on those other dates. perhaps I need to make a sunday night stop at Cake Shop

JK said...

kind of funny that pitchfork posted something about these guys shortly after mine. think they read it? at least i can say that i beat them to the punch on something.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41458/Wolf_and_Cub_Prepare_4AD_Debut_Tour_U_S_