Friday, March 16, 2007

Ear-Bleeding Country

This is not a post about SXSW. You won't find any live blogging to let the rest of the world know how much fun you're missing. Maybe I'm a little bitter. Anyway, a month ago I mentioned that I have been enjoying Dinosaur Jr's throwback rock reunion album Beyond. Even at 41, J Mascis is still making his presence felt on the music scene, whether it be through his vastly overlooked metal band, Witch (he plays drums), his vocals on Mew's last record, or the reunion with Dinosaur Jr, their first studio album together in 19 years. Largely unfamiliar with Dinosaur Jr's past work, which almost seems like a crime now considering their peak happened during my teenage years, a buddy of mine pointed me in the direction of Ear-Bleeding Country. I downloaded it yesterday and immediately came to the realization that I had been missing out on something great. I do have one memory of the band; for some reason I have a vivid recollection of the video for "Feel the Pain" on MTV way back in 1994 that featured the band playing golf in the middle of New York City. That song will always be one of my favorites from that decade, and likely for all-time.

MP3: Dinosaur Jr - "Feel the Pain"

I've seen J Mascis perform solo but I, for one, am definitely looking forward to the tour in support of their new release. Beyond is out on May 1st. Pre-order available at Amp Camp.

UPDATE: Perfect timing, I just found Dinosaur Jr's tour dates on NME. Count me in for Irving Plaza.

San Diego, CA, The Casbah (May 10 - billed as 'J Mascis And Friends')
West Hollywood, CA, The Troubador (May 11, 12, 13)
San Francisco, CA, Slim's (May 15, 16)
Portland, OR, Crystal Ballroom (May 17)
Seattle, WA, The Showbox (May 18)
Olympia, WA, Capitol Theatre (May 19)
Bellingham, WA, The Nightlight (May 20)
Minneapolis, MN, Triple Rock (May 29, 30)
Chicago, IL, The Abbey (May 31, June 1, 2)
Ann Arbor, MI, The Blind Pig (June 3, 4)
New York, NY, Irving Plaza (June 6, 7)
Toronto, ON, Phoenix Concert Theatre (June 8)
Montreal, PQ, Club Soda (June 9)

No comments: