Thursday, November 02, 2006

Beck, Positivity, & Corn Flakes Dispensers

[Photo Credit]

My initial reaction made me think of one Beck song and one Beck song only: "Loser." But, like I said to the mildly retarded man refilling the Corn Flakes dispenser at the Comfort Inn in Albany when he asked - in reference to the bruise on my eye socket that I received two days prior in a Baltimore streetfight - "did you win?" "Of course I won, friend, do I look like a guy that loses in anything?" This of course, is true, because even when things are completely shitty I am the one cracking a fucking joke and trying to see the good in it all. That said, I have arrived, at what I believe, is a positive conclusion to the events that transpired on All Hallow's Eve's Eve.

If I had known about this show at the time that people were getting in line...I would have been even more fucked up than I am now. Here's why: I wouldn't have been able to get there until it was too late. Dr. Thomas Beckett was on an inbound train from NYC arriving at 5:00 PM. And there is no way that they would let me buy two tickets, one of which was for a guy that wasn't there yet. And there is no way I was rolling without the Quinja on Monday night. Secondly, I was halfway to North Carolina, logjammin' on I-95 doing stuff for work. There literally wasn't a shot in hell that I would be able to get in that line. Keeping that in mind, I would have been swinging from a rope if I discovered that he busted out "The Golden Age" and "Lost Cause."

Now we arrive at the whole "how did we not know about this?" issue. And I am going to put a positive spin on this one, as well. Before this little fiasco I didn't know about Information Leafblower and I never really checked out DCist. I just kind of bee-bopped around the web and did my thing. And as the old Thundercats motto goes "now I know, and knowing is half the Castle Grayskull."

Anyway, I am happy I didn't know about the Beck show. It would have hurt even more to see JQ bust in through the door of the apartment and say, "you will never believe what I wasn't able to get tickets to." As it stood, Top told me yesterday that we talked about Beck being at the Black Cat after we left the Apples In Stereo show. He actually learned about the whole deal when he was in line (he got there before us). I know, I know. It's true. But by the time he crossed paths with JQ and I rumrunning our way through the Capitol and rocking out to the Apples In Stereo it was a foregone conclusion and I am even more happy that he didn't emphasize the situation then for the same reasons that I am glad I didn't find out at 12:00 that afternoon. Ignorance, my friends, in combination with inebriation, is bliss. Next time...

MP3: Beck w. The Flaming Lips - "Loser" (Live @ Universal Ampitheater)

More Beck & Flaming Lips tracks at the soon-to-be-retired rbally.

No comments: