Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Ian Curtis Biopic: Control


I began tracking the development of Control when I learned that Anton Corbijn was attached to the project. Corbijn has directed videos from a diverse range of bands: from Henry Rollins to At the Drive-in to Echo & the Bunnymen to Depeche Mode and even Metallica. Even more interesting is the fact that Corbijn's trajectory paralleled that of Joy Division. He rose to prominence photographing Joy Division and other post-punk bands, going on to photograph for Spin, Details, Vogue and Rolling Stone, and eventually parlayed his visual and artistic talents into music videos. While I am a fan of Joy Division's music, I'm not a rabid fan by any stretch of the imagination. But I've found it hard not to become increasingly interested and fascinated by the life and death of Ian Curtis. After watching the trailer above I cannot wait to see Corbijn's interpretation of Curtis' life and times on the big screen. Via RS, I found out that the film recently won the Prix Regards Jeunes (Young Eyes Prize) at Cannes, resulting in heavy buzz and the Weinstein Company winning the rights to the film. I think it's safe to agree with RS on this film's potential as "a passionate labor of love", after all, Corbijn financed half of the film's budget out of his own pocket.

MP3: Joy Division - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
MP3: José González - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

No comments: