Wednesday, December 06, 2006

DFA 1979 Re-issue: Head's Up

There isn't a band in the land I miss more than Death From Above 1979. They blew me away opening up for Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age in January, and before that split my head ear to ear with You're A Woman, I'm A Machine. They continued to impress the more I explored their catalog. It all ended too soon, but the boys from Toronto left an indelible mark, set the bar on opening acts for big time arena bands, and made me thankful that I caught them at least once.

Insound kind of sums it all up with the re-issue of Head's Up:

ONE BASSIST AND ONE DRUMMER; LOUD ENOUGH TO MOVE THINGS IN YOUR PANTS. The first offering from Toronto's Death From Above has been captured on this overloaded CD. Featuring members of Femme Fatale, these six songs will pummel you with rock 'n' roll intensity while making you lick the dance floor at a Stooges show. Hear two instruments make sounds louder then any 4-piece band ever could. Hear tales of lost friends, sluts, and cocaine. Hear pop music get stripped naked, smashed to pieces, and reassembled into a distorted, abrasive mess. This is the death of everything you once knew about rock music.
MP3: Death From Above 1979 - "Do It" (Live)

No comments: