Monday, April 24, 2006

Like Father, Like Son

BLENDER, the bastard child, satan spawn of MAXIM, just took a hot poop on my Mac and on my mind. The fact that SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND ranks #50 on their assanine 50 WORST THINGS TO EVER HAPPEN TO MUSIC list, justifies, explains, and confirms their relation to MAXIM magazine. The majority of the aforementioned list is hot trash. Some of it is spot on. But, come on, how hard are #42 Scott Stapp, #4 Neverland Ranch, and #12 Kevin Federline? Ducks on the pond.

Without getting into details, we need to return to SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND. The concept album is a bad thing? An emotional response to "When I'm Sixty-Four" contributes to the album's "malignant influence?" I think I just threw up in my mouth. I remember the first time I listened to this album. I was in complete awe. My dad loved the early Beatles and my mom loved the late Beatles (WHITE ALBUM, REVOLVER, SGT. PEPPER'S). I can still remember talking on end to her about the layers, the songwriting, and the overall power of that album. From the opening title track to the monumental closer, "A Day In The Life," SGT. PEPPER'S is phenomenal, not to mention ahead of its time. The influence? Positive in every way.

I need to go no further on this topic, but I will say that Maxim (and all its evil offspring) was officially dead to me when they put Pearl Jam's VITALOGY in their TOP 50 WORST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME. That's right, the album with "Corduroy," "Last Exit," "Nothingman," "Whipping," "Not For You," "Tremor Christ," "Satan's Bed," "Immortality," and "Better Man." Bullsh*t! I'm not saying it's PJ's best (see NO CODE, YIELD, VS.), but it is nowhere near being a bad album.

You may, at this point, be wondering why InMyTree found himself on Blender's website to begin with. After the scarlet haze wore off, I took a shot of Jameson's to numb the pain and I came to my senses, I wondered the same f*cking thing! I was surprised to find that a link from one of my favorite blogs of late, Largehearted Boy, sent me there. Not his fault, he was simply doing what we often do here, providing the links regardless of the band, the website, or our opinions on those things. Simply putting it out there. After all, I kind of pointed you in that direction, too. It's all good. I think I am going to go listen to SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND for a little bit. Best song on it? Easy. "A Day In The Life." Look at those lyrics.

No comments: