Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Celebrity Deathmatch: Franz v. Death Cab

Disclaimer: I have no beef with Death Cab, I think they are talented artists, I just don't dig their sound. However,...

I just want someone to post a comment and tell Top and I that we are completely out of our skulls for rolling out before Death Cab For Cutie last night. Or perhaps, post a comment and tell us that Death Cab blew Franz out of the water (in which case I would be amazed, and unable to retort because I didn't witness Death Cab). Top is getting some blank stares around his office, people not quite sure why he would do something like that, "Walk out after Franz? before Death Cab?" Why, yes. I, on the other hand, have caught the, "Eh, not a bad idea, if you've seen one Death Cab show, you've seen them all."

I guess the thing that is eating at me is that I am a polite guy. I saw what I wanted and left. The two girls sitting next to me talked throughout Franz's entire set. Audibly. Loud enough for me to hear, and the last year has me borderline deaf. Do we need posters explaining etiquette? Don't talk loud enough during a set to hinder the ability of your neighboors to enjoy it. Don't yell shit like, "Play 'Free Bird'"

If I was in my college years right now, and obsessed with Franz and stuck in the same situation I was in last night, I would have sat threw Death Cab just to make the listening experience next to my neighboors comparable to what I went through for Franz. Maybe call JK on the phone during the show and tell him how ironic it is that we traded Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena and Bronson (a pitcher) has 2 HRs and Wily Mo Pena has none. That conversation has the same relevance as what these girls were yapping about.

Perhaps the funniest part was the beginning to "Take Me Out." People (finally) start getting up and these two girls are oblivious, then the chorus hits and they are like "Oh my god! They sing this song? This is so on my iPod right now..." They get up and dance for that song only. And then continue to run their cakeholes on who they aren't friends with, who they wish they weren't friends with, and, of course, boys. They were also staring at me, probably wondering how someone could get that involved a live performance.

I stayed up for the whole show and rocked out. Yeah, I am all of 6'6" and I know the implications when I go into a show and somebody has to stand behind me. But I am a good guy about it. I take pictures on a regular basis for people behind me or people who can't get a shot above people's heads...it's just the right thing to do. I also know that if I show up late that I stand where I am. It's a little bullshit to bumrush the stage and set up in front of someone shorter who got their early to get a good view. It seems people need to learn the right thing to do. Shut up. Artists are performing. This is their livelihood. It's what I did after Death Cab. We rolled out. I didn't want to take anything away from the people that were there for Death Cab. It's just the right thing to do.

Buy Death Cab For Cutie at Insound
Stream Death Cab For Cutie at MySpace

Buy Franz Ferdinand at Insound
Stream Franz at MySpace

No comments: