Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The White Stripes @ MSG, 7/24/07

"I don't believe we've played this bar before" - Jack White

Setlist from Product Shop:

Dead Leaves On The Dirty Ground / When I Hear My Name / Jolene / Hotel Yorba / Cannon -> John The Revelator / Icky Thump / Do / Death Letter / In The Cold, Cold Night / A Martyr for My Love for You / I'm Slowly Turning Into You / Think I Smell A Rat -> Wasting My Time / 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues / You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As Your Told / Fell In Love With A Girl -> Ball & Biscuit
*Ridicously long encore break*
Blue Orchid // I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself // Little Ghost // We're Going To Be Friends // Little Bird -> Catch Hell Blues // My Doorbell // Seven Nation Army // Boll Weevil

Despite one of the better reviewed albums of the year, Grinderman just didn't do it for me. I'm amazed that I managed to sit through their entire set. No doubt they rocked and their drummer kicks ass but can someone explain to me how Nick Cave's vocal style is appealing? He seems to be on the wrong side of Craig Finn.

The White Stripes are one of the few bands I've seen that bring a completely different live experience versus their recorded output. Tickets weren't sold for the sections behind the stage but the rest of the venue seemed to be completely full. Jack and Meg looked right at home and the crowd was energetic throughout their entire 2 hour set. The show seemed to get better and better as the night went on. "Ball and Biscuit" was the obvious highlight for me as they closed their opening set. What else can you say? The man is insanely talented. "Catch Hell Blues" and "A Mayrtr for My Love For You" stood out from the Icky Thump tracks. Overall, a very entertaining and satisfying show.

UPDATE: The entire show is available for download at nyctaper.

No comments: