Thursday, July 05, 2007

Vincent Gallo. John Frusciante. Paris Hilton?

[Photo Credit: VincentGallo.com]

While I was out of the net, Paris left jail, got sent back, served time and then was released. I could really give two shits. But I found this track over at Said the Gramophone called "I Wrote This Song For The Girl Paris Hilton" by an artist named Vincent Gallo.

I had previously heard of Vincent Gallo because of his friendship and work with the likes of John Frusciante and Josh Klinghoffer. Klinghoffer of Bicycle Thieves, Ataxia, PJ Harvey, and John's solo sessions and Frusciante of well, Red Hot Chili Peppers and my severe man-crush. At any rate, back to Gallo. Take a look at this dude's Wiki...I'm not sure if crazy is quite the word. He's got a who's who of interesting personalities among his acquaintances to include Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Ramone, Rick Rubin and Lukas Haas and I'm still laughing about his tangle with Roger Ebert at Cannes.

In 2005, at Weekend 2 of the Vincent Gallo-curated All Tomorrow Parties John Frusciante performed. That portion of the UK festival also featured Olivia Tremor Control, Autolux, PJ Harvey and Gallo himself among many other unique acts. Frusciante and Gallo have long been friends and Gallo is even referenced in the John Frusciante song "Look On" (one of my favorites from his solo work) from Inside of Emptiness. John sings:

Things used to be alright
So much was going on
I'm empty now inside
When I thought life was terrible
Things were going fine
Vincent called as a set up
Look on, look on, look on
I recently sparked a John Frusciante interest in my blogger-in-arms, JK. We had just caught sight of New York City as we headed toward the Lincoln Tunnel and I gave him a fast and furious intro to the greatness of Shadows Collide With People. I'm pretty sure his life was changed forever. Give me a couple of days to get my bearings and I will fill you in on how the latest Ataxia CD is.

And yes, that's John, looking at the camera, with the sweet molester 'stache in the above photo. As good as it is, it's got nothing on the blonde beast I'm rocking through the summer.


MP3: John Frusciante - "Look On"
MP3: John Frusciante - "What I Saw"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on with Shadows collide...carvel still give me the chills when it kicks together. As far as Atxia II goes I'm currently obssessed with the instrumental in Soldier 6:45-9:00