Thursday, July 12, 2007

Smashing Pumpkins Played 9:30 Club

We weren't there but as has been the trend during their warm-up shows, this one was a 3 hour burner.

Main Set :
United States
Bleeding the Orchid
Today
Bullet with Butterfly Wings
Starla
Shame
The Aeroplane Flies High
Hummer
That's the Way (My Love Is)
Doomsday Clock
Blue Skies Bring Tears
For God and Country
The Crying Tree of Mercury
Thirty-Three
Rocket
I Don't Mind
Tonight Tonight
Tarantula
Starz
Zero
Neverlost
Come On (Let's Go)
Heavy Metal Machine
Disarm
1979
Untitled

Encore 1 :
Cherub Rock

Encore 2 :
Gossamer

Encore 3 :
F**k You (An Ode to No One)

I tend to side with the more sincere reviewers for the new album. Despite winning me over with "Tarantula," my expectations were still pretty low. I think Pitchfork actually phrased this pretty well at the end of their review, "Given the chance to revisit the good old days, Corgan has unearthed only a portion of the Pumpkins character-- and while that portion is meticulously revived, all the parts left behind remain sorely missed." Accept that piece of Pumpkins history that Corgan chose to unleash on the album and you may be pleasantly surprised. Play Siamese Dream afterwards and you'll be sorely disappointed. I'll choose the former and take it for what it's worth, a decent attempt at Corgan becoming relevant again. Oh, and I'll ingore the atrocity that is the final song on the album.

No comments: