Saturday, February 28, 2009

Blitzen Trapper @ Bowery Ballroom, 2/27/09

Blitzen Trapper @ Bowery

Artists representing my 3rd and 4th favorite albums of 2008 together on one bill at Bowery. Needless to say, I was pretty excited. I'm really rooting for Plants and Animals. This was my third time seeing them live, all in opening slots, and each performance was better than the last. They played two new songs last night which with some polishing should be very solid. I think they've earned the right to a headlining gig in NYC and Bowery doesn't seem far out of reach. Blitzen Trapper was awesome last night. I hadn't seen them before so it's always a good feeling when a band exceeds your expectations in a live setting. Furr was the album that made me a believer and last night's performance only added to that. They described themselves last night as part folk, country, and rock. Fans of any of those genres should check these guys out if you haven't already.

On a side note, if there is one thing I've noticed more recently, it's that I'm becoming less tolerant of the crowds at places like Mercury and Bowery. I guess I'm getting older but the amount of talking just gets out of hand at times. I really think you need to be in the front 1/4 of both venues to avoid it. It's disappointing but it comes with territory, I guess.

I'll be back at Bowery tonight for ...Trail of Dead. I'm expecting a slightly different atmosphere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed -- some of the crowd was intolerable. I don't understand why people go to a show to simply treat it as background noise and drink. If you don't like what you are hearing, leave!

JK said...

I will never understand why people spend money to go to shows and then remain oblivious to the music in front of them. glad to hear i'm not alone on this...