Friday, March 31, 2006

Editors @ Webster Hall, NYC

I'll leave the full reviews to InMyTree but I felt it necessary to mention how much I continue to be blown away by Editors' live shows. After leaving the Mercury Lounge audience with a jaw-dropping performance in January, Editors skipped the requisite Bowery Ballroom step and, as a shock to many, went straight to headlining Webster Hall (should be noted, the Arctic Monkeys went through all 3 venues). The show sold out within weeks. Editors took the stage full of confidence and played a slightly longer set of 12 songs (with a brief encore). Lead singer Tom Smith graciously acknowledged the crowd with comments of how much playing at Webster meant to the band. He also took a brief moment to take a swipe at Rolling Stone, no doubt referencing their lackluster review, before launching into "Bullets." In truth, their live is show is superior to their album; InMyTree raises a perfectly good point that a good producer could bring this band to platinum status. The selfish part of me wishes that I could see them in small venues for the foreseeable future but I can't help but root for these guys. I would challenge anyone to find another band out there that is this ready for the big time.

MP3: Editors - Munich

No comments: