Tuesday, September 25, 2007

amazonmp3 Launches in Beta


amazonmp3 has finally launched its ipod compatible beta site. I haven't downloaded anything and probably won't but from what I can see on the surface, there are a few things that offer an advantage over iTunes. All tracks are DRM free, encoded at 256kbs. Pricing is slightly cheaper, although still not low enough, at $.89 for songs and full albums ranging from $4.99 to $9.00 and up (with several different price points in between). The obvious downside, at least for mass audiences, is that EMI is the only major that's currently on board (that leaves 3 others out). UPDATE: I just read that Universal has also signed on.

In a related note, is it just me or have the prices at Insound gone up recently? As one of the last remaining cd buyers out there, I'd like to support the little guys but with the increase to $50 for free shipping and far cheaper prices at Amazon, I just can't justify it right now.

No comments: