Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Glasvegas @ Bowery Ballroom, 1/6/09

Hyped bands out of the UK always grab me.  I have no idea why, more often than not, they just end up disappointing me down the road.  I held out on this Glasvegas show when it went on sale because I was still on the fence about them.  Since that time, the debut album has positively grown on me.  So, when tickets went back on sale two days ago for their sold out Bowery show, I figured it was worth it to form a full opinion.  I read through BV's post and subsequent comments this morning and I'd agree with the overall sentiment.  From all of the supposed UK buzz bands I've seen the past few years at Bowery (Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, Editors, British Sea Power, Foals come to mind), this was the lowlight.  It was pretty lackluster.  I have no issue with the length of the show (40 mins), they just didn't have the songs to fill that time period.  "Go Square Go, " "Daddy's Gone" and "Geraldine" were a lot of fun and the crowd was into it but I don't really remember the other songs.  I also didn't notice from the album but the drumming was essentially nonexistent during the show.  That, to me, was the biggest issue that needs to be addressed.  Unfortunately, not the best start to the live shows of '09 but I certainly don't regret going.  


Set list:
"Flowers and Football Tops"
"Lonesome Swan"
"It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry"
"Please Come Back Home"
"Polmont on My Mind"
"Geraldine"
"Ice Cream Van"
"Go Square Go"
"Stabbed"
"Daddy's Gone"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're an idiot. They rocked!!! Fuck off