Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The National @ Central Park Summerstage, 8/4/08

[Random phone pic taken during Yeasayer]

I was there at 6:30 on the dot to catch Plants and Animals. Given their recorded output, I really expected more than 3 people on stage. I'm addicted to Parc Avenue right now and their live performance was further confirmation that this band has a solid future ahead of them. Yeasayer looked very comfortable in a large capacity setting although I still want to catch them in a smaller venue to get the true vibe from their set. I love how the songs from their album take on an entirely new life on stage. They also played two new songs, the first of which sounded incredible. The second one, unfortunately, didn't quite work. As for The National, the horns are always a nice addition to their live shows but I missed the violin presence from Padma (Doveman filled in admirably on keys) . "Virginia" was a nice surprise and I'm hoping they start pulling out a few more b-sides. For as many times as I've seen The National (I think I've lost count), I don't think they'll ever top this year's show at BAM but I've yet to be leave a show disappointed and last night was no exception. One additional note, the amazing artwork behind the stage (in the photo above) was done specifically for The National, for this show.

Setlist:
Brainy
Secret Meeting
Baby We'll Be Fine
Slow Show
Squalor Victoria
You've Done It Again, Virginia
Abel
The Geese Of Beverly Road
Ada
All The Wine
Daughters Of The SoHo Riots
Apartment Story
Green Gloves
Mistaken For Strangers
Fake Empire
---------------
Start A War
Karen
Mr. November
About Today

2 comments:

Morrissey said...

nice review---- i posted a few pics on my site. it was my 8th show--- it was superb! enjoy!

nyctaper said...

I posted my recording at:
http://www.nyctaper.com/?p=338